Thursday, April 3, 2014

i want to be a photographer when i grow up


Yeah, this was not what I said as a kid.

In fact, when asked what I wanted to be when I grew up I always said I wanted to be a veterinarian, but there is no way I could handle being an animal doctor.  But I do still love animals.


My interest in photography began when I had my daughter almost 5 years ago.  I snapped photos without ceasing of her with my point and shoot, then, my husband bought my first dslr when Skyley was about 18 months old and I enrolled in a local photography class in McKinney, TX.

The first time I stepped into that classroom I was very afraid, but my mentor was wonderful and I slowly began to figure out what I could do with my camera.

Photography made me linger and acknowledge things I never noticed before then.

After that class...I continued photography as a hobbyist.

Once I learned the basics of photography, I thirsted for more and have since mentored with several amazing photographers.

For the most part, I feel like my journey as an artist is just getting started.  Finding your style and voice takes a lot of time.

The process of creating art with photos is enjoyable and stimulating and stirring and upsetting and pleasing and shattering and exhausting and exhilarating and depleting...yeah, you get it.

I'm in the process of trying to master balancing my love for photography my family and the rest of my life.

It has been so helpful to surround myself with people who support and love me and now I have the capability to do what I love.



I thought I'd share a little bit of our work the last year or so...our art.


























One of my favorite landscapes was this one...at a beach in Oregon.  We went there on vacation and had an amazing time.

Kris did all the editing on this one.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment