Sunday, March 2, 2014

what do we eat for dinner? {crock pot shredded chicken}

No surprise here....I can be pretty lazy sometimes....maybe too often. Since I have decided to put more effort into documenting my family and posting it on here, I figured throwing in some extras (like recipes) wouldn't hurt. And since we're on the subject of laziness, why not incorporate laziness into dinner too? Genius. I have way too many recipes on Pinterest awaiting my attention and here is a keeper.

For my preliminary "what do we eat for dinner" post, this is what we had a few nights ago - Shredded Chicken Sandwiches in the slow cooker.


I originally pinned it because it just sounded so good. I've had chicken thawing in the fridge for a few days and it needed to be used up, but of course, I was feeling...lazy. So making something in the crock pot just made sense and shredded chicken it was.
 


I changed it up and made it my own quite a bit...I used chicken, after all.

Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Sandwiches
1\4 t. garlic powder
pepper
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 t. dried parsley
1/4 c. chicken stock
1 envelope onion soup mix
1/2 c. ketchup
3 chicken breasts


Mix everything, minus pepper and chicken in the slow cooker.  Pepper the chicken and add to the slow cooker.



Cook on low 4-6 hours.  Shred the chicken the last hour of cook time.


I had mine with a little bit of ranch on the bun and some mixed salad on top.  Seamed broccoli made a great side with this dish.  Kris was so happy to come home to this meal.  And there was plenty for all and then some.

Honestly, this is just about a perfect meal for us.  It was sooo easy to make.  You just throw everything into the pot and you're basically done.
It's reasonably healthy...maybe not very low fat.  I didn't have any whole wheat buns, that would've made things a little healthier.
As far as taste goes, this takes the cake.  Not only that, but it made my house smell good, which is always a plus.
This is also very budget friendly.  Really, the only cost for me is chicken.  I usually have all the other ingredients already.
This meal is perfect for a family.
My girls loved it.  They both ate it with enthusiasm.  Score.

I plan on doing these type of posts more often.  It will motivate me to cook more.

Now go make something (preferably this). 

Fun link party: http://tidymom.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment